Center for Principled Business
Center for Principled Business
The Mission of the Center for Principled Business is to engage in teaching and research activities that develop business leaders and enhance societal prosperity. The Center offers cross-disciplinary research and academic and co-curricular programs for K-State students, high school students, and working professionals.
The vision of the Center is to be the premiere institution for the study of effective practices that foster business innovation and growth for the benefit of society.
Goals and Objectives of the Center
- To provide academic and co-curricular programming to K-State students that develops them into effective business leaders.
- To sponsor business research that addresses important business questions around topics such as efficient capital allocation, market regulation, employee values, business organizational and governance structures, individual employee empowerment, decision making, and compensation systems with the goal of improving the practice of business.
- To engage working professionals with non-credit offerings that enhance their ability to manage and operate within their own organizations.
- To support students through scholarships to study effective business practices.
The research focus of the Center is around the confluence of markets, businesses, and individuals and how those three groups interact to create value for society. We support research related to markets, ethical behavior, the entrepreneurial thought process, decision making in organizations, and compensation/incentive systems.
Programs and Initiatives
The mission of the Menard Family Scholars Program is to offer the premiere freshman business leadership development experience for high achieving students at Kansas State University’s College of Business.
The K-State Business Innovation Challenge offers students from across campus to improve their analytical, decision-making, teamwork, and presentation skills. Students are presented with a real-world case to analyze and apply appropriate strategic management principles and will offer recommendations to the company highlighted in the case brief.
This new initiative serves current college students, alumni, working professionals, as well as regional high school students.
Goals of the Women in Business Initiative:
- Educate: Increase enrollment by women in the College of Business
- Introduce women to career opportunities in business, with particular emphasis on underrepresented disciplines
- Reach 50% enrollment by women within the College (current enrollment is 37%)
- Empower: Provide additional support and opportunities for current K-State students
- Offer additional personal and professional development opportunities for current students as they prepare to move into the workforce
- Engage: Connect current & future K-Staters with alumni and corporate partners
- Connect successful alumni, friends, and corporate partners with high school and college students to offer mentoring, networking, and learning opportunities, and scholarship support