Kevin P. Gwinner
Edgerley Family Dean of the College of Business Administration
Department of Marketing
|Office:||2036 Business Building|
|Mailing Address:||2019 Business Building
1301 Lovers Lane
Manhattan, KS 66506
Dr. Gwinner's main research stream focuses on improving and managing the performance of front-line, customer-contact employees. Specifically, he is examining issues dealing with the real-time interaction between front-line service employees and consumers. To that end, Gwinner's research interests and publications emphasize (1) the identification and measurement of personal and organizational antecedents impacting various job performance indicators in front-line service employees (e.g., adaptive service behavior and organizational citizenship behaviors), (2) customer expectations regarding service employee behaviors during service interactions (e.g., consumer relationship benefits and perceptions of rapport), and (3) the cognitive and emotional aspects of consumer complaint behavior and employee response within a service encounter.
A secondary research interest involves sports marketing issues. To date, Gwinner's research and publications on this topic have focused on understanding the brand image implications of sporting event sponsorship. Specifically, he has been active in the examination of the potential for an event’s image to transfer to a brand through sponsorship activities. His focus is now turning toward the sponsorship implications of consumers’ sports team identification and consumers’ attitudes toward commercialization.
Current Research & Consulting Projects
- Does Sponsorship Elicit Gratitude from Sport Spectators: The Mediating Role of Sponsor Motivation
- Drivers and Consequences of Customer Relationship Benefits: A Meta-Analysis
- I have published 36 peer-reviewed journal articles, three book chapters, and my research has been presented more than 47 times at a variety of national and international conferences.
- My research has been cited by others over 12,000 times in peer reviewed journal articles (Google Scholar).
- Editorial review board member of: Journal of Service Research, Journal of Marketing Education, and Marketing Education Review
- Engaged in marketing research consulting for a variety of organizations, including Bayer HealthCare Animal Health North America, the Food Animal Welfare Network, the National Food Animal Veterinary Institute, Sprint Nextel Corp., Andersen Consulting, Veriprime, Jalas, Honeywell International Inc. and the American Veterinary Medical Association.
- Supervised marketing research projects for many small and midsized business organizations throughout Kansas.
- Won the Outstanding Research Paper Award for the best article published in the Journal of Service Research and my research on consumer relational benefits was recognized as the most influential article published in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science.
Areas of Teaching
Marketing management, MBA, marketing strategy, services marketing, sports marketing
Ph D, Arizona State University, 1997.
MBA, Arizona State University, 1992.
BS, Arizona State University, 1988.