Dr. Sungha Jang
Department of Marketing
|Office:||3048 Business Building|
|Mailing Address:||2092 Business Building|
1301 Lovers Lane
Manhattan, KS 66506
The primary goal of Dr. Jang's research is to examine underlying mechanisms of marketing phenomena and develop quantitative models applicable to general situations. Specifically, he is interested in consumers’ search behavior, choice decisions, and firms’ targeting strategies in various industries. His methodology includes Bayesian estimation to quantify complicated decision processes and text mining to understand market situations from unstructured data.
Current Research & Consulting Projects
- Understanding the market structure of major hotels using consumer reviews
- Identifying how consumers’ risk taking attitude affects their financial product purchases
- Investigating how a pseudo-product harm crisis affects firms’ advertising strategies and online consumer behaviors
- Consulting projects: H&R Block (preliminary analysis for profit models), Purple Wave (developing prediction models), Centralized Supply Chain Services (advising price forecasting models), Greater Manhattan Community Foundation/Boys and Girls Club of Manhattan/Steel & Pipe Supply (Marketing research consulting for local organizations)
- Worked in the filed of credit risk management (Experian Korea, 2000~2005)
- Published in International Journal of Research in Marketing, Journal of Interactive Marketing, Marketing Letters, etc.
- Awards: CBA Developing Scholar Award
- Journal Reviewer: Service Business, Journal of Interactive Marketing, International Journal of Research in Marketing, Australasian Marketing Journal, etc.
- Song, Reo, Ho Kim, Gene Lee, and Sungha Jang (2017), "Does Deceptive Marketing Pay? The Evolution of Consumer Sentiment Surrounding a Pseudo-Product-Harm Crisis," forthcoming at Journal of Business Ethics.
- Jang, Sungha, Ashutosh Prasad, and Brian T. Ratchford (2017), "Consumer Search of Multiple Information Sources and Its Impact on Consumer Price Satisfaction," Journal of Interactive Marketing, 40 (November), 24-40.
- Jang, Sungha, Ji Hye Kang, and Junghwa Son (2017), "Promotion Effectiveness of Coupons and Reward Points by Fashion Product Categories at an Online Retailer," Journal of Channel and Retailing, 22 (3), 1-17.
- Kang, Ji Hye, Su Yeon Kim, Sungha Jang, and Ae-Ran Koh (2017), "Can College Student’s Global Competence Be Enhanced in the Classroom? The Impact of Cross- and Inter-cultural Online Projects," Innovations in Education and Teaching International, Published online: 25 Feb 2017, 1-11.
- Jang, Sungha, Ashutosh Prasad, and Brian T. Ratchford (2016), "Consumer Spending Patterns across Firms and Categories: Application to the Size and Share of Wallet," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 33 (1), 123-139.
- Song, Reo, Sungha Jang, and Gangshu (George) Cai (2016), "Does Advertising Indicate Product Quality? Evidence from Prelaunch and Postlaunch Advertising in the Movie Industry," Marketing Letters, 27 (4), 791-804.
- Jang, Sungha, Ashutosh Prasad and Brian T. Ratchford (2012), "How consumers use product reviews in the purchase decision process," Marketing Letters, 23 (3), 825-838.
Areas of Teaching
Marketing Analytics, Marketing Research, Principles of Marketing
Ph D, University of Texas at Dallas, 2011.
MBA, Korea University, 2001.
BA, Korea University, 1998.