History of the College of Business Administration
The College of Business Administration was established in 1962, but the study of business at K-State goes back to 1866 when a course entitled Farm Bookkeeping was added to the Agriculture curriculum. In 1922 there was a degree in Rural Commerce in the College of Arts & Sciences, it was renamed Commerce in 1929. In 1931 an Accounting option was added to the Commerce degree. With raising enrollment, the Department of Business Administration was created, within the School of Arts & Sciences, in 1956.
The School of Commerce was established in 1962, with C. Clyde Jones serving as the first dean of the college. The name was changed to College of Business Administration in 1968. By 1970, the College of Business Administration was the second largest college at K-State. It operated as one department, until the departments of accounting, finance, management and marketing were created in 1979.
The college received accreditation for the first time in 1973. By 1980 the Master of Business Administration and the Master of Accountancy also received accreditation from AACSB. In 1988 the Accounting Department received separate accreditation, a high honor.
In 2009 the Master of Business Administration is ranked for the first time by the Aspen Institute in their Global 100 programs. It is ranked again in 2011. Bloomberg BusinessWeek magazine has ranked the College of Business Administration at K-State as the top business program in the state of Kansas since 2010.
The Center for the Advancement of Entrepreneurship was established in 2010 under the Provost Office, and was later moved to the College of Business Adminsitration in 2011. That year the National Strategic Selling Institute was also established, and the Integrated Investment Management Lab opened.
In 2011 Dean Ali Malekzadeh started the K-State Business Executive Mentor Program, an initiative to match every student in the college with highly successful individuals to develop professional relationships.
Six deans have served the College of Business Administration
- Ali R. Malekzadeh 2011- 2015
- Yar M. Ebadi 1995- 2011
- Daniel G. Short 1992-1995
- Randolph A. Pohlman 1984-1990
- Robert A. Lynn 1968-1984
- C. Clyde Jones 1962-1967
The College of Business Administration is conveniently located in Calvin Hall, which was built in 1908. Calvin Hall has had several renovations, including ones in 1984, 1997 and 1998.
Calvin Hall was named in 1925 after Henrietta Calvin, a professor of domestic science at K-State from 1903 to 1908, recognized for strengthening the curriculum. The building has been renovated several times, and now it includes three computer labs, including a financial lab with 13 Bloomberg stations, a stock market ticker in the third floor, open meeting spaces for students, three boardrooms, classrooms as well as faculty and staff offices. Through out the building there is an eight-monitor digital display system, named by students Calvin Connection, that serves as an information point about news and events.